First Aid - what to do if something happens
It is important to cool a burn immediately to stop the burn from becoming more severe.
- Immediately place the affected area under cool running water for 20 minutes. It takes at least this long to cool the skin under the burned area.
- Remove any clothing or jewellery if possible
- If the burn is bigger than a 20c piece then seek medical attention
- Call 000 while running the burn under cool water
- Cover the burn with cling wrap or a damp cloth to transport the child and keep the burn from becoming infected
Do not use ice or icy water, creams, butter, oil, toothpaste or any other ointment to try and cool down the burn.